Our employees are at the heart of what we do best: helping people, businesses and society prosper in good times and be resilient in bad times. When you join our team, you’re bringing this purpose to life alongside a passionate community of experts.
Feel empowered to learn and grow while being valued for who you are– here, diversity is a strength. You have our commitment to support you in reaching your goals with tools, opportunities, and flexibility. It’s our employee promise.
Our hybrid work model provides the balance between working from home and enjoying meaningful in-person interactions.
Read on to see how you can shape the future, win as a team, and grow with us.
About the role
We’re looking for a Law Clerk to join our growing team!
What you’ll do here:
- Practice management.
- Drafting pleadings and application materials.
- All facets related to undertakings, include preparing the initial undertaking chart, corresponding with counsel to request undertakings, reviewing answers received to determine whether the undertaking is satisfied, drafting motion materials to compel answers to undertakings.
- All aspects of arranging Independent Examinations, including retaining experts, and preparing briefs for experts, corresponding with counsel to arrange attendance of their client.
- Reviewing productions and providing counsel with a pre-discovery list of further productions/documents/information to request from counsel.
- Summarizing document productions and other materials, including medical records.
- Managing production requests and preparing Affidavits of Records.
- Drafting Letters of Instruction and preparing expert retainer materials.
- Trial/Arbitration preparation.
What you bring to the table:
- College diploma and/or university degree in a legal program (Paralegal, Law Clerk, Legal Office Administration), or any combination of equivalent education and experience.
- Minimum of three to four years of experience in Insurance Defence Litigation, specifically as a Law Clerk.
- College diploma and/or university degree in a legal program (Paralegal, Law Clerk, Legal Office Administration).
- Have an excellent understanding of tort matters.
- Strong document management skills with the ability to learn and utilize various software programs, including iManage, Citrix, ACL, Nuance and the Microsoft Office package of programs.
- Can prioritize, organize and execute your tasks in a quality manner with a fast turnaround.
- A desire to be a part of our #oneteam philosophy, supporting our insureds, adjusters, claims representatives, law clerks, legal assistants and lawyers, with a view to customer satisfaction and business continuity.
- Excellent attention to detail and sound proofreading, and drafting skills, ability to prioritize and organize.
- Excellent communication, listening, organizational, interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Eagerness to learn and ability to work independently, exercise sound judgment and take initiative.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills in dealing effectively with clients, counsel, insureds and court officials.
- Demonstrate a disciplined approach to work.
What we offer
Working here means you’ll be empowered to be and do your best every day. Here is some of what you can expect as a permanent member of our team:
- A financial rewards program that recognizes your success
- An industry leading Employee Share Purchase Plan; we match 50% of net shares purchased
- An extensive flex pension and benefits package, with access to virtual healthcare
- Flexible work arrangements
- Possibility to purchase up to 5 extra days off per year
- An annual wellness account that promotes an active and healthy lifestyle
- Access to tools and resources to support physical and mental health, embracing change and connecting with colleagues
- A dynamic workplace learning ecosystem complete with learning journeys, interactive online content, and inspiring programs
- Inclusive employee-led networks to educate, inspire, amplify voices, build relationships and provide development opportunities
- Inspiring leaders and colleagues who will lift you up and help you grow
- A Community Impact program, because what you care about is a part of what makes you different. And how you contribute to your community should be just as unique.
We are an equal opportunity employer
At Intact, we value diversity and strive to create an inclusive, accessible workplace where all individuals feel valued, respected, and heard.
If we can provide a specific adjustment to make the recruitment process more accessible for you, please let us know when we reach out about a job opportunity. We’ll work with you to meet your needs.
Click here to review other important information about the hiring process, including background checks, internal candidates, and eligibility to work in Canada.